I’ve tried a few times to make homemade macaroni and cheese from a few recipes, but most of my attempts seemed to be missing something. This time I decided to make a cheese sauce separately and then bake it with the pasta. It may take a little longer to prepare, but I like that I can control the taste of the sauce and increase the amount of cheese if I want to. Also, soups and sauces are my favorite things to make.
Macaroni and Cheese
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
- 16 ounces gluten free pasta
- 6 tablespoons oil
- 3 tablespoons corn starch
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- 3 cups cheddar cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- dash nutmeg
- Cook pasta in boiling water until it is firm but not hard (al dente).
- In a fry pan, heat oil to medium heat.
- Add corn starch. Stir or whisk corn starch and oil until corn starch is completely dissolved.
- Turn heat down to low. Allow mixture to cool. (If mixture is not cool enough, milk will gel.)
- Add milk and Parmesan cheese.
- Increase heat, stirring frequently.
- Once milk and Parmesan cheese are mixed in, the sauce should thicken.
- Add 1 1/2 cups of the cheddar cheese.
- Stir until cheddar cheese is melted and mixed in.
- Add salt, mustard and nutmeg. Stir well.
- Add sauce to pasta (or pasta to sauce if your fry pan is larger).
- Place in a casserole dish. Top with remaining cheddar cheese.
- Cook at 375°F for 10 minutes.